Paleo Squash Soup with Bacon, Leeks, and Pumpkin Seeds
4 cups of chopped squash.
***I strongly dislike chopping squash and have almost lost a finger a few times…so I purchased a pre-chopped mix of acorn, winter, and butternut squash. Any squash would work, even pumpkin! I like the mix because butternut alone is too sweet for my liking.
4 cups of filtered water
3-4 slices of pastured bacon
2 leeks chopped
2 stalks of celery chopped
1 tsp dried thyme
sea salt, black pepper to taste
fresh oregano-a few sprigs chopped
roasted pumpkin seeds
1. Crisp the bacon in a dutch oven, remove from pan and chop it up. Set bacon aside with chopped oregano and pumpkin seeds (these will top the soup at the end, and add nice taste and crunch)
2. Saute the leeks in the bacon fat until golden and crispy.
3.Add the celery and squash to the pan, top with water.
4. Add sea salt and pepper to your taste, as well as the teaspoon of thyme.
5. Bring to a boil and then simmer until squash is tender (approx 15-20 min).
6. Puree the soup! The easiest way is with a handheld immersion blender. However, mine broke so I used a regular blender.